Fleshlight Review: What I Learned [NSFW]
Today I’ll be discussing a topic that is not suitable for most workplaces. I’m doing deep dive into the world of masturbation and providing a fleshlight review for you.
We’ve gotten more than a few questions from our readers about fleshlights and the benefits and risks of masturbation. So, as with all serious questions around sexual health and fertility, I am approaching this fleshlight review with compassion, an open mind and scientific research.
We love that the team at Goop have already normalized many of these topics and brought them into the mainstream for women several years ago with the introduction of the “Sex Issue”. Somehow, the same topics for men have remained more hushed and taboo. We’re trying to break down those barriers so we can have open and constructive conversations across gender lines.
With that, let’s jump right in!
How Does Masturbation Impact Your Health?
Before jumping into any review, I think it’s prudent to take a few minutes to understand the benefits and possible negative side effects of masturbation.
While it is often a taboo subject, it’s is very important to note that masturbation is a completely normal and healthy activity. Research studies have found that adults of all genders and backgrounds explore their bodies in this way, and there is absolutely no shame or guilt that you should associate with masturbation. Not only is it fun, but there are many reported benefits, too.
Benefits of Masturbation
Many experts believe that masturbation is a healthy and normal part of your sex life. Key benefits to regular masturbation include:
- Reduces the risk of prostate cancer according to a 2004 study
- Reduces stress and tension
- Helps with sleep
- Boosts mood
- Can help treat premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction
- Reduces risk of STIs / STDs
- Teaches you about your own body and what you like, which can in turn improve your sex life with your partner
These are all a pretty fantastic endorsement for masturbation. Still it’s important to know and understand the risks.
Most side-effects of masturbation tend to be psychological, for example if it starts interfering with your day to day life or you feel you are developing an addiction. Similarly, if you have any guilt, shame or otherwise negative feeling about masturbating, you can always speak to a therapist. A trained medical professional can help you to unpack those complicated emotions.
Now that we know masturbation is a completely safe, normal, and healthy part of life, let’s have some fun and jump into the main event – the anticipated fleshlight review!
What are Fleshlights?
The Fleshlight has been around for some time now, in fact it was invented in 1998 by Steve Shubin. Since then it has become increasingly popular, with Lovehoney listing it as the #1 selling male masturbation toy.
Fleshlight is a brand of male masturbation sleeves. As a brand, they are credited with bringing the world of male sex toys to the mainstream.
Since their creation of the classic Fleshlight in 1998, the company has continued to innovate and they now offer countless varieties to suit your personal preference and desire.
Typically, a Fleshlight is made with a soft inner lining called SuperSkin, and it will have one of three holes to resemble a vagina, butt or mouth. You might be surprised to learn that there are over 100 different textures to choose from, with new styles and designs being introduced all the time.
The main types of Fleshlight include:
- Classic: the classic collection developed over time
- Fleshlight Girls: a very popular collection, based on the openings from popular porn stars
- Go: a smaller model which is easier to take on the go 😉
- Flight: the most popular selling Fleshlight, with a super soft sleeve and discreet design
- Sex In A Can: discreetly designed to look like a beer can
- Freaks: designed fort the sci-fi lovers out there
- Quick shot: this model is very compact and open-ended, making it easy to use with a partner
- Ice: these models are enclosed in a transparent sleeve so you can watch yourself
If you’re overwhelmed by the choices, the below video from the pros at Lovehoney has a great overview of each model:
How to use a Fleshlight?
It’s pretty straightforward to use a Fleshlight. But there are a few tips to take your experience to the next level.
- First, it can feel good to warm-up your Fleshlight by running it under warm water before you start.
- Second, you should always use a good amount of a water-based lube (applied to yourself and the Fleshlight).
- Third, now it’s time to enjoy yourself!
How to Clean a Fleshlight?
With any product coming into direct contact with your penis, cleanliness and sanitation are key. I mentioned above that masturbation has a low risk for STIs / STDs; however, when using any sex toy you need to practice good hygiene to avoid any pain points later on.
The good thing, the makers of Fleshlight know this and have designed the product to be super easy to clean. You just remove the sleeve from the case after each use and run it under hot water. You can also use a cleanser specially designed for sex toys, but don’t use regular soap as this can break down the material.
When you are done cleaning your toy, leave it to fully dry before you put it back in the case – mold would be a very unwelcomed addition to your Fleshlight.
For full cleaning instructions, watch the below video:
What Is the Best Fleshlight?
With so many models and choices, it can be difficult to pick which Fleshlight is the best for you. A good starting place would be the #1 most popular selling model, the Fleshlight Flight Pilot.
At the time of writing this article the Fleshlight Flight was rated 4.5 / 5 stars, with over 300 customer reviews. Here’s what recent customers have to say:
- 5 stars: “First Time Masturbation Toy. Amazing service and fast delivery from LH as always! Received in the standard discreet packaging we’re used to. The Pilot is amazing quality, both the casing and sleeve feel to be made of high-quality material. The sleeve feels amazing, and as a first time make you user, I’ll never go back. A real must-have! Cleaning is easy, as long as you have somewhere to let the sleeve air dry.”
- 5 stars: “Intense. Feels great as close to the real thing as you can get. I purchase this for the times that when my wife is not available. I have used other male toys before but this one is the best. I will be buying more of the Fleshlights. Just make sure you buy the care pack with this.”
Where to Buy a Fleshlight?
Discretion is key when purchasing any intimate product. I like to buy from a trusted retailer, who specializes in adult toys and products.
Packaging should be neutral and disguised, as you would not want your neighbors to know what you are up to in your alone time…
I also like to purchase from an adult toy specialist. I like to know that I am buying from professionals with any product that comes into direct contact with my penis. I don’t want a knock-off or something that could have been returned.
I like to order online from Lovehoney, but you can also shop in person at a local shop if that is more your speed. I tend to be a little shy and like to keep my masturbation purchases private.
Just do your research, buy from a trusted shop, and have fun with your new toy!
Fleshlight Review: The Fleshlight Flight Pilot
The Flight Pilot is the top selling Fleshlight model with an average 4.5 / 5 star customer rating. This model is extremely discreet and is designed with an even softer interior that the original Classic collection.
- Discreet design
- Softest interior yet offering a textured real-feel, an upgrade to the original SuperSkin design
- Clear sleeve
- Twist base to control suction level to your preference
- Ergonomically case for an easy grip
- Easy to clean
- 6 inches in length
- 5 inch opening
- Easy to use
- Discreet design, easy to hide
- Real, awesome feel
- Closed and open suction control
- Easy to clean
- The plastic case is a little cheap
- Could be a bit wider for girthy people
See below for what real customers have to say about the Fleshlight Flight!
Source: Lovehoney.com / Trust Pilot
Wrapping It Up
Hopefully with this review we’ve managed to break down some of the stigma surrounding masturbation. There are clear benefits backed by science, including reduced stress, improved sleep, lowered risk of prostate cancer, and even improved intimacy with a partner.
Whether it’s your first time trying a sex toy or you’ve used dozens before, I think you’ll find little to fault with the Fleshlight Flight. If you try it out, let me know what you think in the comments below!